I am all stressed out! This seems to be most common feeling today. Stress is omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent, it seems. And if you are a working woman, then it can sometimes cause havoc with your inner peace and mental equilibrium. After a hectic day at work, the home does not seem to be welcome place to go if you expect to find that family is stressed too. These days, each member of the family faces stress, be it father, mother, children or grand parents. It seems that the relations are bending under the impact of expectations that family members have from each other. So, is there a way out or family stress is going to stay with us?
What is family stress?
Family stress can be defined as a real or imagined imbalance between the demands on the family and the family’s ability to meet those demands.
What causes family stress?
Stress in families varies, but the most common factors that affect diverse groups of families are as follows:
- Financial Problems
- Workplace Stress
- Personal Relationships
How does stress affect the family life?
If you are under stress for any prolonged period, it will affect your health. How much depends upon your capacity to handle stress. The key is to learning how to downplay the stress and create joy and togetherness in your household.
How to keep your family Low-Stress?
In this context, American scientists had conducted a research on 32 California base families for 4 days. In every family, both parents worked outside the home and had two or more children. Based on this research, here are some techniques to calm stress and create joy in your house:
- Low-stress families share the jobs: The low stress families were the ones where all members of families were working as a team rather than individual without bothering who is doing what. The most important thing is be on a joint mission to help the family for the greater good of everybody’s happiness.
- Low-stress families enjoy togetherness, whenever they can: Designated quality time is still important for family health, but the proof is in the connections you are making with your family every day. Whether it’s reading your kid a bed time story, cheering on a sporting event, or welcoming dad home from work. It is those small ordinary moments of family togetherness that are vastly important to keeping a family calm, connected and stress free.
- Low-stress parents are role model first and friends later: Role modeling respect with your spouse is a good example for your children of how mutual respect works. It is important that your children know that you are the parent and you set the rules, and when they respect you, you respect them too. As much as we want to be our children’s friends and companions, it is important to remember you are a parent first, with a responsibility to guide and direct. When children are given these appropriate boundaries they are better able to feel safe & calm and learn emotional control and regulation.
- Low-stress mothers cook homemade meals: The study showed that whether making dinner from a package or homemade it tended to take same amount of time, but homemade dinners are a better method of getting more of the family involved and together. Try to have good homemade recipes and rotate through them month by month. A calm family starts with calm kitchen and a delicious healthy meal.
- Low-stress mothers understand the importance of ”me time” for themselves and spouse: Moms may feel selfish taking a minute for themselves, but this study showed that if mom can have some time for her she is better equipped and calmer when needing to give her valuable time to the focus of the family. Take a few minutes to exercise, read a book, or watch your favorite TV show, and don’t forget Dads need time too so trade off taking a minute so everyone gets a break.
- Low-stress families watch TV together: When families laugh together during a TV show, that’s a shared moment they have in common, and it creates a memory. Remember talking about your likes and dislikes, feelings, and thoughts about the shows is still a unique and fun way to have family bonding time.
- Low-stress families welcome daily chores routine: Couples find comfort and calm in those daily things that happen every day. Whether it’s washing the dishes together or tucking the kids into bed. Routine is what keeps children calm and parents calmer. Days in a busy family can seem hectic and quick so make sure to pause and appreciate the calm and consistency in daily routine.
Hope these tips for a low stress-family are helpful for my friends.